I am learning Urdu

Thanks for your help
I am sorry, it doesn't mean to be offensive, but I think Urdu is a language of over a billion people now , and its surprising that there is almost negligible digital stuff available for translation or conversions.
Just for example if everyone in Urdu speaking community will record and upload just one word, they can prepare a pronunciation resource in a record time .
Or maybe I am being too tacky
کوڈ:
No offence taken!
You are absolutely right.
And we at Urdu Mehfil are working hard to improve the situation.
The community is contributing with their pace and things will get better and better over the time.
We are already working on some of the resources you pointed out.

دوست

محفلین
You are right, but there is a controversy involved. Urdu, when they say is a language of more than 1 billion people, they include Hindi speakers as well. Hindi and Urdu are same at spoken level but their writing system is different (Hindi's taken from Sanskrit). There are vocabulary differences as well and the difference increases if we compare literary Urdu and literary Hindi. Similarly in last 65 years or so, there use of alternative vocabulary items has increased and both varieties are on a divergence path. So on a superficial level one might say both are one, but politically they are not. And lastly, out of some 180 million people of Pakistan, not everyone's mother tongue is Urdu. They learn it as second language though now trend is changing and people are adopting it as first language for their children.​
So you are right, a lot has to be done. There are a lot of problems, political as well as administrative (government not paying much attention), multilingual environment of Pakistan and the importance and imposition of English in our country.​
But leave it, you are a learner of Urdu. Let us concentrate on that :)
Just ask anything you want to know regarding Urdu, We will be your resources, alive resources :D

گزم

محفلین
Absolutely! But everyone has their own priorities. So there is no expected or estimated time that we can convey. This community have produced wonderful resources in the past as well. Although, those resources might not be well worth for a beginner. :)
Right now what I desperately need is to listen to some native speaker and remember the real pronunciation of the words that i learn.

Is it possible that we can create a page where I can post the words that I learned and forum members whenever they have time, can check it and if they can. record the word in their voice, which then can be played back?

It will not only help me but in due course it will become a very valuable resource that can later be integrated into dictionaries or voice applications.

I can provide any resources for that if needed and will be happy to participate in any means I can be helpful.

Right now what I desperately need is to listen to some native speaker and remember the real pronunciation of the words that i learn.

Is it possible that we can create a page where I can post the words that I learned and forum members whenever they have time, can check it and if they can. record the word in their voice, which then can be played back?

It will not only help me but in due course it will become a very valuable resource that can later be integrated into dictionaries or voice applications.

I can provide any resources for that if needed and will be happy to participate in any means I can be helpful.
I understand your need. We are working on a huge dictionary project right now which has this plan already to record natural voices preferably more than one samples of male and female voice for each word or phrase available in that dictionary. Sad part is that we cant commit a deadline by what time that resource will be ready. Now talking about your proposal, it is a good idea and it may help you and a like in particular. But the issue is that, you need to prepare an easy setup to record the voice and upload it somewhere. It is very inconvenient for any one to record small voice samples for each word you post, in the form of individual files then they upload it manually some where and link them individually. Now, lets assume there is a page where you keep posting words and any one can come to that page, select a word, click a button in the webpage itself to record the voice and everything else is taken care seamlessly, this is something you need to motivate enough people to help you this way. :)

گزم

محفلین
I understand your need. We are working on a huge dictionary project right now which has this plan already to record natural voices preferably more than one samples of male and female voice for each word or phrase available in that dictionary. Sad part is that we cant commit a deadline by what time that resource will be ready. Now talking about your proposal, it is a good idea and it may help you and a like in particular. But the issue is that, you need to prepare an easy setup to record the voice and upload it somewhere. It is very inconvenient for any one to record small voice samples for each word you post then they upload it manually some where and link them individually. Now, lets assume there is a page where you keep posting words and any one can come to that page, select a word, click a button in the webpage itself to record the voice and everything else is taken care seamlessly, this is something you need to motivate enough people to help you this way. :)

I think I can ask someone in IT to make me such page , and it should work, but regarding motivation, I just hope that at least forum members can help me and obviously it wont be too many words to record, as I am not building dictionary, rather I need daily life words and they will be hardly few thousand

گزم

محفلین
Well my name is Muhammad Shakir Aziz. Here my nickname is Dost. You pronounced first part fine 'Do', the sound is not English 'D', a little different. The next part 'st' doesn't have any vowel so it will be pronounced like English word 'rest' is pronounced (no vowel between 's'). And it means 'friend'. Hopefully you have added a new word in your vocabulary. I said you will be overwhelmed, see a member has posted in Turkish. We are amazing people :D, aren't we?

Thanks Aziz
actually we have a word Dost that means very deep friend
we also use word arkadash
that means a friend , (normal friend , not very fast friend)
You see If you are helping my Urdu, I am returning the favour by helping your Turkish
so in a way we are language exchange frinds dost

I think I can ask someone in IT to make me such page , and it should work, but regarding motivation, I just hope that at least forum members can help me and obviously it wont be too many words to record, as I am not building dictionary, rather I need daily life words and they will be hardly few thousand
I have already told you, the community here is very helpful and friendly. I am sure you will get enough help in this regard. :)

ملائکہ

محفلین
Hello,

Welcome here in Mehfil. I am glad that you are learning Urdu language and I hope that you will find it interesting to learn our language.. Everybody is soo happy to know about a person who is learning Urdu but I want to ask you that in which city you live in Turkey and what do you do there. Tell us about the people and weather and buildings and everything…. :)

زین

لائبریرین
خوش آمدید گزم
یہ جان کر خوشی ہوئی کہ آپ اردو سیکھنا چاہتی ہیں۔

گزشتہ دنوں محفل کے رکن کفایت اللہ ہاشمی بھائی نے فیس بک پر یہ پوسٹ شیئر کی تھی ۔ شاید اس سے کوئی مدد مل جائے
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...14623.100000679497815&type=1&relevant_count=1

s2gop4.jpg

Urdu-Turki Lughat ( Personally, i cannot say it dictionary because it has only 141 pages. we can say it a short glossary).
Urduca Türkçe Sözlük.
sadece 141 sayfa var. Ben sözlük diyemeyiz. kısa bir sözlüktür.

میں نے ہاشمی بھائی کو فیس بک پر اس صفحے کا لنک بھیج دیا ہے ۔ یہاں بھی اطلاع کے لئے ٹیگ کردیتا ہوں
کفایت ہاشمی

زین

لائبریرین
میری اردو تو گزم کو سمجھ آجائے گی لیکن انگلش نہیں :biggrin:
-
اس لئے ملائکہ آپ ترجمہ کرکے لکھیں

فیس بک سے یہ پیج بھی ملا ہے یہ بھی مددگار ثابت ہوسکتا ہے
1iczzl.jpg