I am learning Urdu

گزم

محفلین
Hello everyon
my name is Gizem
I am from Istanbul Turkey and a a student
I am learning Urdu
This forum is interesting but its so hard to participate as everything is only urdu and there is no help or alternate language
I could make account with the help of our professor
I hope I can learn some new things about Urdu and people of urdu here.
If you know any better resource to get started please let me know
I am still learning urdu alphabest so its maybe too early to start using this forum
I will like to speak someday
and maybe then I can travel too
thank you
Gizem

محمداحمد

لائبریرین
Welcome to Urdu Mehfil.

Pleased to know that you are learning Urdu. Keep coming hopefully you will learn Urdu.

اردو محفل میں خوش آمدید

خوشی ہوئی کہ آپ اردو سیکھ رہی ہیں۔ آتی رہیے ، اُمید ہے آپ کو اردو سیکھنے میں مدد ملے گی۔

دوست

محفلین
Hi
Welcome :)
Well, using this forum will be too early for you as yourself told that you are learning Urdu alphabets at this stage. I suggest you learn alphabets, than start some reading work. Taking advantage of a forum like this can come at somewhere intermediate stage when you are able to understand some words of Urdu. Then you can simply ask for meaning of a word.
For a learning resource, I don't know if there is something online. But there would be surely and someone will come along to help you in this regard. Till then stay tuned.
PS: it is lovely to have someone from Turkey on our forum and learning Urdu.
Best of Luck

دوست

محفلین
In case you want to change forum locale. Go to this link
The second drop down list is about locale setting. Click and select 'English US'.
Click the only button at bottom to save it. And you will be able to understand the forum navigation.

گزم

محفلین
In case you want to change forum locale. Go to this link
The second drop down list is about locale setting. Click and select 'English US'.
Click the only button at bottom to save it. And you will be able to understand the forum navigation.

Thank you very much
If I can read correctly your name is DO SAT? although I couldn't understand محفلین
Thank you Do Sat
I successfully changed language settings and now I can see what each button is meant for

Thanks a lot
This forum is so interesting , and people are so friendly and helpful
I will work hard to be able to read what is written in these forums
must be interesting

Thank you very much
If I can read correctly your name is DO SAT? although I couldn't understand محفلین
Thank you Do Sat
I successfully changed language settings and now I can see what each button is meant for

Thanks a lot
This forum is so interesting , and people are so friendly and helpful
I will work hard to be able to read what is written in these forums
must be interesting
:) ڈو سیٹ
دوست بتاو اپنے نام کا مطلب

حسان خان

لائبریرین
Urdu mehfil’e Merhaba Gizem Hanım ....

Çok mutluyuz ki siz Urduca’yı seversiniz ve şimdi onu öğreniyorsunuz. Ben de bir Pakistanlıyım, ama biraz Türkçe biliyorum. Size yardımcı olmaktan memnum olacağım. :)

دوست

محفلین
Well my name is Muhammad Shakir Aziz. Here my nickname is Dost. You pronounced first part fine 'Do', the sound is not English 'D', a little different. The next part 'st' doesn't have any vowel so it will be pronounced like English word 'rest' is pronounced (no vowel between 's'). And it means 'friend'. Hopefully you have added a new word in your vocabulary. I said you will be overwhelmed, see a member has posted in Turkish. We are amazing people :D, aren't we?

دوست

محفلین
محفلین is a rank.​
Mehfil means a meeting, and 'Mehfilian' is a word coined just as word 'Indian' is. A person who is member of Mehfil.​
Well, enough for now. I have exercised a lot of my language teaching skills.​
See you.​

گزم

محفلین
A quick question is why there is no online English to Urdu or Urdu to English translation available ?
or if there is any good site , can you recommend?
we have a really good site Tureng but it works only for English and Turkish
To be honest I was surprised that there is no good online dictionary or resource available to consult quickly

secondly there is no resource for pronunciation too.
if anyone knows a good site where i can paste an Urdu word can can get pronunciation , that will be great help too

thanks

حسان خان

لائبریرین
I am not sure about any resources for pronounciation, but I know of some good online urdu to english dictionaries to conult to, and help you fine-tune your Urdu.

Check out this link for some good dictionaries of Urdu. They are a bit old, and they may not contain some newer words and constructions, but still, they'll come in handy....
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/

دوست

محفلین
Yes we have less resources, that's a problem but community is working on it.​
A dictionary, use this one. This is the best as far as I know​
Google Translate may help you for translation but it was in alpha version not a short while ago. Translation quality is not very good, specially conversation translation well one might say "it sucks".​
No pronunciation resource available unfortunately as yet for Urdu. Ask us we will try to guide you by writing word in Roman (English alphabets).​

گزم

محفلین
I am not sure about any resources for pronounciation, but I know of some good online urdu to english dictionaries to conult to, and help you fine-tune your Urdu.

Check out this link for some good dictionaries of Urdu. They are a bit old, and they may not contain some newer words and constructions, but still, they'll come in handy....
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/

Thanks for your help
I am sorry, it doesn't mean to be offensive, but I think Urdu is a language of over a billion people now , and its surprising that there is almost negligible digital stuff available for translation or conversions.
Just for example if everyone in Urdu speaking community will record and upload just one word, they can prepare a pronunciation resource in a record time .
Or maybe I am being too tacky

اردو محفل میں خوش آمدید۔ امید کہ آپ کا وقت یہاں اچھا گذرے گا اور آپ محفل انتظامیہ سمیت تمام محفلین کو معاون و دوست پائیں گی۔ کسی مشکل کی صورت میں انتظامیہ سے بلا تکلف رابطہ کر سکتی ہیں۔ :) :) :)

کوڈ:
Welcome to Urdu Mehfil.
We hope you will enjoy your stay here and you will find all the Mehfilian including Mehfil staff very helpful and friendly.
Don't hesitate to contact Mehfil staff in case of any trouble.