کاشفی

محفلین
What if there was No MQM?
Danish Kazi on 20, Jul 2013
mqm22.png

I sometimes wonder what would happen to Pakistan’s politics if there was no MQM. Who would they blame for all their misery and plight? Who would be the common enemy? Who would be branded as traitors? Who would be used to distract the people of Pakistan of their real issues like electricity, jobs and security? What would happen to those who like to find all solutions of their troubles by just criticizing MQM?
What more? What would happen to the people of Karachi and Southern Sind who have gotten there as where they are today because of MQM? So what would be the world like without MQM today. I’m blogging to draw an outline of a Karachi and Hyderabad without MQM. Than let you decide if you could have a progressive Pakistan without MQM and its leader Altaf Hussain.
1986 was the year when I was in Class three when I heard a sudden burst of fire next to my school whose window over looked into the Qasba area of Karachi. As my teacher came to take me down stairs. I could see people which I would not name taking aim at my school. I remember strongly my worried father rushing to take me back home. The same year I remember that whilst shopping with my Dad one Friday afternoon; all chaos broke loose when again a certain ethnicity was about to attack the area and we remember that my Dad drove our Toyota 74 Corolla like crazy into the thin alleys to save us from the probable attackers. I remember growing up out of fear at that time. These were the formative years of MQM.
Now lets assume if MQM by any chance was not formed. The Jihadist who were behind all these actions at that time and not an ethnicity would have taken over the city. Imagine if at that time those who suffered did not fight back or by any chance people would not have united behind MQM and its leadership especially Mr. Altaf Hussein. What could have happened to the city? We all crib today that lawlessness was introduced by MQM. But people MQM came into existence fighting off the same lawlessness. What if the guy taking an aim at my school would have shot me or my friends? I am sure any one even living in Lahore or confines of Islamabad would not like to even imagine it for a moment.
Technically speaking, three parties or may be a fourth would have held between them the mandate of the city. So would it have still stopped the Bhatta in the city since it always there before MQM and since we as a nation anyways decided to host an international terrorist like Dawood Ibrahim in our city in the mid 90’s, which we of course deny. He would have introduced it any ways. Would Lyari known for pushing drugs and smuggling would have desisted from doing their traditional way of business? I doubt so.
Come 1996 when Taliban movement picked up. And possibly with strong roots in Karachi without MQM many of our sons would have become fodder in an insane conflict in Afghanistan. Without MQM we might have been under attack post September 11 as it was MQM which showed solidarity with the international world by taking a peace rally and rightfully so; as now we are discovering via many commissions that most of the Al Qaeda terrorists were in Karachi. Imagine all of us would have been assumed in the same stride and an emotional USA’s reaction could
have been painful.
The people of Karachi who are today seen as liberal and reformists in the eyes of the world would have been seen as terrorists instead. Would there have existed a Zamzama, even the modern schools which we all take pride in? Would there have existed even Cinema’s which were burned at the first opportunity during riots by Islamists? Would our daughters and sisters have been allowed to go to schools or colleges? Imagine without MQM; the influx of Talibans or Jihadists life could have been like living as in some parts of KPK. What worst we could have handed over a strategic port to these elements since we can see our establishment do not look in control over them.
Now lets not forget the feudals and landlords who were in control of the city. Do you think they would not have continued grabbing land. The nucleus of all parties which is corrupt would not have continued doing what they are good at i.e. loot and plunder? Who would have stood for your rights as we can see there is no allocation in the recent Sind budget for Urban Sind and there was hardly anything before.
Today, what ever any one might say. Karachi is not Talibanized. The people of Karachi who anyway would have been called Mohajirs for the rest of the life feel empowered to serve the nation. Now don’t say they would not have as in interviews during 90’s including myself at the Army application center I was reminded that I am a son of a Mohajir very rudely. Karachi continues to be the hub of Pakistan against all odds where efforts were made to malign its position by pushing development elsewhere and most importantly a united Karachi and Urban Sind has a more say in the center. Unlike where sorry to mention that now only one or two cities i.e. Lahore or Islamabad run the country whilst the rest are there to support. Correct me if I am wrong the same Nawaz Sharif who was so anxious to see Chief Justice to go to Mazar e Quaid on May 12th 2007 is yet to visit it after taking oath as a Prime Minister.
Now I am sure I would invite the ire of many. But in my view and the many others. MQM and its leadership is the most sincere party to the Urban Sind whilst the rest like JI and PTI just want to use it as one of the cards up its sleeve in the center whilst for MQM this is the only card. All the more reason why they are sincere to it. Now we should not forget that MQM stood shoulder by shoulder with our Army and its intelligence when Talibans were cutting to size our soldiers elsewhere in the country. MQM has contributed through its manpower and its support to build Pakistan. Whilst they still await justice for Qasba massacre, Hyderabad carnage and the 1992 operation. They still stand by Pakistan. Now this shows clearly their sincerity to the nation that their forefathers built and I am sure if given its due credit can pull Pakistan out of its misery where they have proven if they could do it against all the odds in Urban Sind with hands tied. I am sure due to their strong nucleus and leader ship could deliver the same for Pakistan. Now I leave that for you to decide. Do you still want to see a Pakistan with or without MQM? My vote lies with it for our Pakistan. Pakistan Zindabad!