Need Help with the Translation of Google Main Search Site

abdusalam

محفلین
Essalamu Eleykum,

I'm one of the translators of Google main search site. A couple of weeks ago, we converted the interface into Arabic script-based Uyghur language from Latin script-based one. But we are faced with a tough problem that is the direction of the text on the page is set to Left-to-Right (LTR) by default. However, the text in Uyghur language should flow from the right to the left since this language is Arabic script-based. After a series of research, I noticed that the Urdu interface of Google main search site is set to Right-to-Left (RTL) and uses the Tahoma font which is different from the default one which Google set. So I would like to get some help/hint from those dedicated guys about how they made it. I'm sorry writing English here because I don't know Urdu language. However, I can just guess some of the words (e.g., Unicode) as this language is also Arabic-script based.

And I have no idea if this is the right place to post this. If this is not, please help me to pass on this message to those guys. Any help will be appreciated.

Teshekkur!

You can email me: UyghurGeek@gmail.com

دوست

محفلین
Welcome here Adusalam
I think it is due to
<html dir="rtl" lang="ur">
tag. You can see it on this page's source. The direction "dir="rt'"" tag is the key. Otherwise you will have to do this thing in CSS. I hope you would know CSS well.
Regards

abdusalam

محفلین
Thanks for your quick reply, Dost.
Yes, you're right. To make the text flow from the right to the left we should put those tag/value pairs inside source code for a RTL text page. But the point is that I have no idea how to get the Google guys set it for our pages. I kept writing to those Google guys to do something but they seemed just ignored all of my emails. So I'm wondering how you guys get them set the Right-to-Left properties to your Urdu Google pages.

Teshekkur, again.‎

دوست

محفلین
Looks they are not interested in providing interface in your language. Otherwise there shouldn't be any problem. They are providing RTL pages in numerous languages already.​

ساجداقبال

محفلین
As far as Google in Urdu is concerned, It was done by Google themselves. May be some Pakistani/Indian guy at Google did it. There is no open platform for translating google in different languages.​

abdusalam

محفلین
Thank you all. Though I wouldn't like to admit the fact, but it seems that they are really showing no interest in providing the pages in our language. However, I'll keep an eye on this here for further suggestions.

Teshekkur!