CEO of Furniture in Fashion "Asad Shamim's Interview"

asad-shamim-e1548154614101.jpg

Through constant hard work, Pakistanis have made their Country proud all around the world. The Almighty has blessed people of Pakistan with great intellectuals. One of them is Pakistani Born British Pakistani, Asad Shamim who is not only a Principled Businessmen but also a Good Human being.

Through hard work, honesty and dedication he is now recognised as one of the most successful Pakistani businessmen in Britain. Asad Shamim, who has recently won the Asian Business Leaders Award for Successful Application of Digital Media, started his business even before Graduating. He has now established a multi -million-pound company in Britain whose website is being visited by thousands every day. He is also a Boxing manager and promoter, business mentor and adviser in a British Law firm.

Asad Shamim has a strong desire that everybody in Pakistan should get justice and there should be an established rule of law in the country.

‘Leader’ interviewed Asad Shamim which is presented here to our readers:

Q) Tell us about your family background and your early life?

A) I belong to a small town near Toba Tek Singh, Punjab, Pakistan. I was born in Sahiwal. I came to Britain with my beloved mother in 1976 and at the time I was just 5 years old. I completed my graduation in Accounting and Finance in 1995. “Throughout my childhood I dreamt of becoming a business man and to make this dream true I studied hard and I decided to start my business. In, 1989, at the age of 15 years old, I generated £15,000 from my business. From there I laid the foundation. In our family no one was running their business. I am the only member in our family who set up business. My Father used to work. He guided me at every stage of my life and supported me. I studied from a recognised school, college and University in Britain but my upbringing is due to my parents. When my father used to drop me to the school, on the way he always used to advise me of how to become a good person by adopting good ethics. He taught me Punjabi and Urdu. In Britain, Pakistani people also talk in English in general, but my parents always prioritised our tradition and culture. I was taught to speak in my mother tongue and excelled in the English Language.”

Q) What is the nature of your Business?

A) I started a Department store ‘World in Fashion’ in 1995, where I sold both male and female clothing, shoes and gift items. In 2005, I introduced furniture in this store, to which a great response was received from the public. With the increased demand of Furniture sales, I extended the sale of furniture to an online business. This idea was turning point in my career. In 2006, I launched a website ‘Furniture in Fashion’. The concept involved, importing furniture from China which on average a dining set was sold up to £250, whereby the initial cost to the company was less than half increasing the profit margin substantially. Furniture, if managed well is a profitable and lucrative business in Britain. I have a multi-million pound company here, as my website receives between 8 -10,000 unique visitors a day. The idea of placing furniture in my store came to mind when an agent of a German furniture company visited me. So, I placed furniture sets at my store and this collection gained popularity amongst the locals. Soon after I built up and maintained relationships with other suppliers from Germany and developed and expanded the business. Eventually, I closed the section of clothing and shoes. In 2001, I had a department store and at that time online shopping was not so common. But I had a vision, because as time changes, our lifestyle changes. In furniture I enjoyed a less competitive environment, so I gave priority to furniture over clothing. The trend in furniture doesn’t change as rapidly, a furniture set can be saleable from 3 to 5 years. In comparison, fashion/trends of dressing changes every week. We manufacture our furniture ourselves. I have also hired agents, through them I place orders in factories in China. Our brand name is stamped on all of our furniture packaging. In China, I have more than 20 factories working for me. The Manufacturing cost of furniture has been increased immensely in Europe, that’s why importers are looking to China. It came to my attention that Germans were not manufacturing their furniture in Germany now, in fact they had shifted to the cheaper markets in Europe like Turkey, Poland and others. So now German furniture have compromised on their reputation in the furniture sector and have started importing furniture.

Q) Pakistan is in need of Foreign investment, so what are you doing to bring investment to Pakistan from Britain?

A) In 2001, I met the then finance minister of Pakistan Shaukat Aziz on a flight to Pakistan. During the journey, he was impressed with my ideas, and he agreed to organise an international investment conference in Islamabad. I showed an interest in making that conference happen, and then I approached elite British companies to visit Pakistan and eventually they agreed to invest in Pakistan. In this way, Pakistan exports have increased across the world. In this regard, I had two to three conversations with Shaukat Aziz. But at that time, 9/11 happened, due to which the conference was cancelled. I was very disappointed because I worked hard to get all the big investors on one platform. Anyway, after a while, I tried to contact Shaukat Aziz several times, but he never returned my calls. The reason for not attending my calls was also that he became prime minister of Pakistan. I had completed all the arrangements for the international conference in Pakistan, but the Government of Pakistan did not show interest to increase their exports and have trade with multi national companies of UK. All the companies were ready to visit Pakistan because of my credibility. Actually the hesitation of investing in Pakistan is the mistrust. The Government of Pakistan should promote export-oriented industries and should review their export policy. In Britain, I have conducted several meetings regarding investment in Pakistan, but the government should form a team, whose work should be to look for new markets for Pakistani products. Unfortunately, the Government of Imran khan is also doing the same things which have been done in the past.

Q) What are your views on Pakistan’s Furniture market and products?

A) Pakistan has huge potential for creating furniture, and its KP region is known for its exquisite woodwork and carving. The country has six hubs for wooden furniture Karachi, Lahore, Sargodha, Chiniot, Gujrat, and Peshawar. Of these Chiniot, Gujrat, and Peshawar have the most famous woodworkers, who are known for their sophisticated carving technique and uniquely intricate patterns, making Pakistani furniture stand out all over the world. For many years, Chinioti furniture has been in greater demand because of its detailed woodcarvings and brass work, all of which are very high quality. More than 90% of the overall demand for furniture in the country is met by Chinioti furniture. Gujrati industries are also making headway in establishing themselves in the region. There are about 700 manufacturing units in the country. These units are operating on the basis of single shift/300 days per annum. 8,000 people (approx.) are directly and indirectly attached with this occupation. The demand for Pakistani furniture has constantly been rising. It has bright prospects to export more than $1 billion worth of furniture annually in the international furniture market. I request the Government of Pakistan to subsidise the Furniture industry and take comprehensive steps to remove hurdles in its way. This will not only significantly reduce unemployment in the country but also in the development of the rural economy.

Q) Do you have any complaints with the Government or Judiciary of Pakistan?

A) I have written 3 letters to the recently retired Chief Justice, Mr Saqib Nisar on various issues in the country. But he didn’t reply even once. One dispute is about my father’s land in Pakistan, where a fabricated claim has been made to grab this land. Whenever I write to the British Prime minister or Her majesty the Queen or any other Minister, they always provide an acknowledgement of concerns. This the concept and ideology which should be changed in Pakistan, because if the Chief Justice will not acknowledge concerns, what sorts of standards is this setting for the remaining individuals in the Country. Furthermore the Judicial process in Pakistan is open to critisizm.

Q) In your opinion how can Society develop?

A) Development of any Country or society is connected with the prosperity of its people — a system which is clean from corruption and where justice has been provided most easily. Workers right are protected. Farmers and laborer’s live with prosperity and where the children of the nation are healthy and have been brought up well Where there is no energy and water crisis. Agriculture sector and industries prevail. Rulers, politicians, soldiers, bureaucracy, Judiciary, media and Citizens are Patriotic. Long-lasting Peace is also essential for any developing society.

Q) What is the biggest issue in Pakistan in your view?

A) The biggest issue of Pakistan is the wrong policies of the rulers. Due to these policies, there is terrorism, inflation, poverty and unemployment in the Country. There are groups in Pakistan who are eating up the resources of the Country. Similarly, corrupt politicians have also become mafia. Competent and patriotic people/ officers are been sidelined. There are flaws in tax collection. Illegal profits, stocks and corruption has spread into the roots of Pakistan.

Q) How can Pakistani alleviate these problems?

A) The Supreme court should assist in returning the looted money of Pakistan. The assets made by corruption in Government departments should be sealed. All appointments should be made on merit.

Q) How much has the Devaluation of the rupee affected our economy?

A) Against the dollar, the rupee has come to its lowest in history, due to which import costs have increased phenomenally. The Government took no measure to stablilise the value of rupee. I don’t think the idea of going to International Monetary Fund (IMF) will be fruitful, because the economy of Pakistan is very weak and, in this scenario, the IMF will put tough terms and condition on the Government, which will result in inflation, heavy taxes and increase unemployment.

What is the importance of agricultural Commodities and livestock?

A) Livestock is a subsector of Pakistan agriculture which contributes approximately 56% of value addition in agriculture and nearly 11% to the gross domestic product (GDP). Live stock production makes a major contribution to agriculture value-added services. The output of milk, fat, eggs, bones and mutton has a positive, significant relationship to the agricultural GDP of Pakistan, while the output of beef, poultry meat, wool, hair and skins has a negative, insignificant relationship to the agricultural GDP of Pakistan.

Q) How can Pakistan overcome the energy crisis?

A) The population is increasing day by day. On the other hand, the industrial & agriculture sectors are not faring well due to the shortage of electricity. Hence, we need to construct more dams. One of the biggest causes of the energy crisis is the scarcity of water because we do not have a proper system in place which deals with water shortage. A major factor is the way in which water is wasted. Water levels have gone down considerably in Pakistan, and this shortage of water can be met by constructing tube-wells. Shortage of water has created problems for agriculture. Wheat, rice, cotton, vegetable, fruits and also fodder of animals are in extremely less quantity in the Country. Pakistan is an atomic power. We can obtain energy from nuclear technology.

Q) What is the reason behind terrorism in Pakistan and how can we get rid of it?

A) Millions of the youth are hopeless about their present condition and future. Their families are mostly poor and illiterate. When the terrorists groups offer them handsome amounts of money and material resources for their families, they agree to join them as terrorists. The effects of terrorism include the injuries, deaths and psychological trauma of the immediate victims, short and long-term impact on the economy of the attached Country; and enhanced security, military and intelligence activities to deter future attacks. Terrorism also creates publicity for the groups or individuals initiating the attacks which is often their objective. A regular terrorist organisation really works against the social and political system and thus the Government in office. It tries to damage essential official buildings, offices and public places like railway stations and airports with bombs and destructive weapons. It kills people and destroys property in crowded places like shopping centres and bus stations. This sets the people against the Government and causes public demonstrations. The bomb blasts and the resulting deaths and destructions in different parts of our Country are an example of such terrorism. Terrorism needs to be monitored extremely carefully. The government should force all the people illegally present in the Country to leave, ensure the refugees to remain in their camps at al times, arrange to stop the illegal flow of arms and money into the Country from abroad and have an effective secret service which can report all kinds of terrorist plans. It may help if United Nations established a special Anti-Terrorist International force to effectively combat the forces of terrorism. I hope the situation of Pakistan in 2030 will be Different.

Q) What are the objectives of CPEC and the China building corridor policy?

A) China- Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is an example of mutual interdependence and trust. CPEC aims to facilitate trade along with an overland route that connects Kashgar-China and Gwadar-Pakistan, through construction of a network of highways, railways, energy sectors, and pipelines. The Corridor will rapidly expand and upgrade Pakistani infrastructure as well as deepen and broaden economic links between Pakistan and China. For China, Pakistan is a gateway to Europe, Africa, and the Middle East where China seeks to showcase its soft power, develop trade and diplomatic links. Securing a route to the Indian Ocean via thr port of Gwadar, China will do the job nicely. It will also help China to develop its military presence in the region while playing a role in its “String of Pearls” strategy. China is facing challenges in the South China Sea. China is importing two thirds of oil from this route but it is not safe, as there is a risk of conflict at any time. CPEC is an alternative route for China. The corridor also promises to open up remote, landlocked Xinjiang, and create incentives for both state and private enterprises to expand economic activity and create jobs in this under-developed region. The development of Kashgar will also reduce isolation of the restive Xinjiang province and deepen its engagement with the rest of China.

Q) How will Gwadar Port effect the trade in the Region?

A) The Gwadar Port is one of a mega projects being completed by Chinese companies in Pakistan within the framework of China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative, is proceeding well. China is a major investor in Gwadar and has so far spent $248 million in the first phase of the development of Gwadar port. China has invested more than $70 billion in Countries and regions involved in the Belt and Road Initiative since its inception in 2013, with commodity trade exceeding $5 trillion. China has set up 75 overseas economic and trade cooperation zones, with an investment exceeding $27 billion and created jobs for more than 200,000 local people,

Q) How much economic activities will CPEC increase and will it be beneficial for Pakistan?

A) China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a pilot project under the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) will boost economic activities and generate around two million new jobs till 2030. “CPEC is the first one, and may serve as “role model”. Under this initiative, infrastructure, power generation, development of Gwadar Port and industrialisation will take place. As at this stage, most of the projects are categorised as infrastructure development. It will require civil engineers, mechanical, electrical and other related disciplines of engineering. It will also need technicians: masons, welders, carpenters, surveyors, steel fixer, machine operators, etc. In addition to the technical workforce, it will also need economists, finance, accounting, management HR and interpreters of Chinese language etc. Among the on-going projects, most of them are in the power sector, either hydro-power, coal power, nuclear power or renewable energy projects. The rest of the projects are the development of Gwadar port, airports, railway, pipelines, optical fiber-link. There will be more jobs for engineers and technicians in the future with some available to other disciplines as well. Pakistan needs to introduce reforms in its educational sector, where it needs to identify the requirements under CPEC and then produce the requisite human resource. Currently, Chinese companies have created around 70,000 jobs for Pakistanis, but in the near future, the number will increase substantially. However, at the initial stage, Chinese companies may bring their own workforce for the time being.

Q) CPEC is unacceptable for many, what do you think about that?

A) Yes, obviously, the enemies of Pakistan do not want the Country sowing and cultivating the fruits of peace and prosperity through this mega project. The enemies of the Country want to keep Pakistan under developed by hatching conspiracies and spreading rumors against the CPEC. Our neighbouring country is at the forefront in this negative campaign. On the other hand, there are Big countries who wants to invest in CPEC and be part of it.

Q) In current international scenario what message you will give to Pakistani people?

A) I want to tell the people of Pakistan that they should always be positive and develop constructive thinking and always work for the betterment of the Country. The public should give priority to the Country’s best interests because in these conditions our Country needs national unity. People should also elect competent candidates in the election so when they reach to national and provincial assemblies they work for the people of Pakistan. Democracy is the only way forward for Pakistan. The economy can only flourish when there is a good business atmosphere. Vision is also very important in the current scenario. Pakistani people and Pakistani rulers or politicians should have a long-term plan because nothing can change in 5 years in the Country which is facing a bundle of Problems. The country has fought three wars and now this is the era of economic war.​