Should English be Our National Language

سیمل

محفلین
[eng:45f155de8e]A few Days Ago i had a Table discussion in my calss ... The Topic Was
"Should English be Our National Language"

A student said..."India has two National Languages .. English and Hindi"

A student asked " why we need english"
" We need it to be heard in the international world"
"It is the Language of technology"
so why not Urdu...Urdu keon nahi?
"Woh chand per puhanch gaye hum mehboob ki kamar k Maanp sye nahi nikal sakey"...
so english is our need...?
a person said" Sir why dont we translate the English stuff into urdu..."
My question was" Sir who will do this..our writers...what is the role of Government in this Case...what abt the progress regarding Urdu"

Abb sawal yeh hey k app batayien kia karien kiya kahien... Jo nateeja iss disscussion ka thaa woh shayed manfi he thaa... likein hum na khud tarraqi yafta hien na zuban.. tu kia"Ready Made" kisam ki taraqi chahye humien... likein iss dunya mien appni awaz puhanchaney k leye kia humein zuban udhar liean parey gee[/eng:45f155de8e]

قیصرانی

لائبریرین
Should English be Our National Langu

[eng:41858b6b98]You are right on this issue, but the problem is not the DECISION of making a national langauge, problem is IMPLEMENTING the use of national language. We talk, and use half english half urdu, we write same way, we even think in same way. So it is a matter of psychology and training of a whole generation, before we can do any practical step...I will write more, but after some time :)[/eng:41858b6b98]

زیک

مسافر
[eng:e1ab1a4743]While Urdu has become a lot more common in Pakistan in the last 50 years, it still isn't a language of education, science or even government. The question is why is this so and how we can fix things. Converting government over to Urdu is probably the easiest task. However, our efforts for Urdu medium schools have been haphazard and have exacerbated the class divisions in society.

The problem really is that not much good material is being produced in Urdu (other than some literature). How many books are published in Urdu, especially in the natural and social sciences? But then how much work is being done in these fields by Pakistanis? Not much unfortunately, especially if we exclude the diaspora.

With the establishment of Bangladesh, the language issue is not so big on the political radar but it exists. For example, in Sindh, Urdu is linked to a specific group and does cause problems now and then.

I do think that it would probably be easier to make Urdu our national language than to use English.[/eng:e1ab1a4743]

الف نظامی

لائبریرین
زکریا نے کہا:
While Urdu has become a lot more common in Pakistan in the last 50 years, it still isn't a language of education, science or even government. The question is why is this so and how we can fix things. Converting government over to Urdu is probably the easiest task. However, our efforts for Urdu medium schools have been haphazard and have exacerbated the class divisions in society.

The problem really is that not much good material is being produced in Urdu (other than some literature). How many books are published in Urdu, especially in the natural and social sciences? But then how much work is being done in these fields by Pakistanis? Not much unfortunately, especially if we exclude the diaspora.

With the establishment of Bangladesh, the language issue is not so big on the political radar but it exists. For example, in Sindh, Urdu is linked to a specific group and does cause problems now and then.

I do think that it would probably be easier to make Urdu our national language than to use English.
[eng:45f916833f]Change the domain name of Urduweb.org with Englishweb.org immediately if you belive what you have said.[/eng:45f916833f]

قیصرانی

لائبریرین
راجا نعیم نے کہا:
Change the domain name of Urduweb.org with Englishweb.org immediately if you belive what you have said.
[eng:b4aa40aee8]My dear brother, we are discussing here. If you do not like, please do not join us. If you like to talk, discuss...This is not an ethical, moral or religous way to just deny something, is it?

Your name was RAJA FOR HURRIAT for very long time. Didn't you realized that mistake then?[/eng:b4aa40aee8]

جیسبادی

محفلین

سیمل نے کہا:
A few Days Ago i had a Table discussion in my calss ... The Topic a person said" Sir why dont we translate the English stuff into urdu..."
My question was" Sir who will do this..our writers...what is the role of Government in this Case...what abt the progress regarding Urdu"

[eng:42ed940855]On Urdu wikpedia, the challenge has been accepted by a few people. Leading the charge are Dr. Afraz on the scientifc front, and Abdul Wahab on general side. You can search for Afraz's views on the subject that were posted here some time ago and on Wikipedia itself.

The wikipedia: http://ur.wikipedia.org[/eng:42ed940855]

سیمل

محفلین
زکریا نے کہا:
I do think that it would probably be easier to make Urdu our national language than to use English.
[eng:81e6011466]I totally agree with all the points u have given.. and it was said by most of the students"Sir we need Urdu as our National language"... so then the answer was
" Ok U want to be an engineer, Doctor or IT Expert.... u want to get admission in a University... OF Pakistan... any Recognised and Good university and u dont know English... they will say u go back and First learn it... because each and every word is in "English"

Our Class includes teenagers to studenst of age of 25,26.. i was amazed that they all said "We Will might get more influenced by the Western Culture as we are under that influence reagarding every aspect of life"(if we make english as our National Language

so it means that we are not totally ignorant abt our own culture and language ...but can we make urdu our langauge at university level... what is the future of a person in Pakistan .. who cant read and write english but he want to be a doctor or engineer..............why we Dont Make urdu the Language Of technology. of Medicine, Of IT, Of Government also.... where each and every word is in "english"

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION ????????????????????[/eng:81e6011466]

سیمل

محفلین

جیسبادی نے کہا:
سیمل نے کہا:
A few Days Ago i had a Table discussion in my calss ... The Topic a person said" Sir why dont we translate the English stuff into urdu..."

On Urdu wikpedia, the challenge has been accepted by a few people. Leading the charge are Dr. Afraz on the scientifc front, and Abdul Wahab on general side. You can search for Afraz's views on the subject that were posted here some time ago and on Wikipedia itself.

The wikipedia: http://ur.wikipedia.org

[eng:2d6cea4568]Thanx for the reply and link ..i Hope it is the satart of a new challenge....[/eng:2d6cea4568]

قیصرانی

لائبریرین
[eng:9efffae23e]When we want to decide some language (s) as official or national langauge (s), we have many challanges, e.g

Whether national and offical language should be and can be same?

Is it possible to have different language for official level and yet an other for the national language?

Do we have any langauge which represents the majority of our population?

How many langauges we have in our country and what is their ratio to population?

The langauage (s) we want to decide as national or official langauge (s), what majority can speak, read, write and above all, can understand this language (s)?
Is it possible to develope one or more languages and leave behind the other, existing langauages of the country?

Remember, Pakistan is having a lots of local langauges. Majority of which is Punjabi, Sindhi, Pakhtu, Balochi, Seraiki, Hindko, Brahvi etc etc.

The solution for adopting the Urdu language as our national, official and language of science and technology is not merely a declaration, but a whole new creation of language. We have Urdu, which has very few words about scieces and technology.

One solution is to translate everything from level Zero to Urdu, which will take atleast a work of one generation.

Second way is to offer a new method. Get terms from other languages like Farsi (Persian) and/or Arabic and/or Turkish etc.

In any of above solutions, the change should be step by step. We can not implement the whole new terms in one day. We need to impliment new Urdu terms, keep the English old ones with us, which will be replaced in one or two generations.[/eng:9efffae23e]

امن ایمان

محفلین
[eng:a6ff7a3251]hmm nice discussion going on....well according to me ..yes English should be our national language ... oh no no.. i mean to say...eng is foreign language..so we should avoid it coz we are not slave anymore..

hmmm i know you are getting confuse :p sorry to say ...but this is because we are all hypocrite ... we want urdu implementation but mostly we impressed from those who speak well in eng ..we consider them as "Very Perha likha" ..isn't..?? ..we are act like a school boy who wrote a story on a poor family... he writes ..

once upon a time there was a poor family.They were all very poor. The head of this family was poor. All servants of this family were poor. Even the gardener and driver of this family was also very poor.... :lol:

well each language have its own importance ... so i think like India and others.. we should also learn both if we want survive as developed natioan.[/eng:a6ff7a3251]

اعجاز

محفلین
[eng:c8b0df9fa1]why cant I write urdu here :shock:

THE REASON
englsih can not be our national language because it is not our language. If we give small thought on possible reasons its not very hard to find them.

Your national language should be one that binds you with the rest of the countrymen for which english fails misterably. And believe me it would cost lots more than anyone can think of to make everyone in Pakistan understand englsih or any other foreign language.

There are many nations that doesnt have such binding language e.g. many african nations and they use english for such purpose but you can see their status. Fortunately, with the presence of URDU, Pakistan has such binding language that is understood virtually everywhere in Pakistan.

I will give you one example in this case, as a software engineer we daily face shortage of sound developers in our industry. The work that most of the software houses in Pakistan do is not anything that can be called ROCKET SCIENCE but still since all this knowledge is in english, a normal student is unable to graasp all the knowlege and industry faces lack of technical human resource problem. So the issue is that we do not readily convert knowledge of cutting edge technologies into a language that is widely understood not our masses dont understand an alien language.

Most of the students at FAST (the most popular CS school in Pakistan) can read and understnad englsih but majority of teachers teach in URDU hence the students of FAST are always praised in the industry because of their better understanding of the domain. If the translated data is available I am sure rest of the universities will aslo produce similar quality of students.

regards[/eng:c8b0df9fa1]

اعجاز

محفلین
[eng:202b39122a]and my belief is that we should learn english only as a tool to communicate with the world and not a language of life.

hence it is ok if they teach it from class 1 but all sciences and rest of knowledge should be in Urdu or any local language. I think till 5th it should be local language and then Urdu.

I remeber once when I asked my friends about cpncept of archimdes (spelling muaaf :D) principle .. while they have already passed the course ..no body knew it as everyone crammed it due to unability to uderstand as it was in english.
same case was for me but somehow I watched an educational TV program and got the idea :D :D[/eng:202b39122a]

قیصرانی

لائبریرین
اعجاز نے کہا:
I remeber once when I asked my friends about cpncept of archimdes (spelling muaaf :D) principle .. while they have already passed the course ..no body knew it as everyone crammed it due to unability to uderstand as it was in english.
same case was for me but somehow I watched an educational TV program and got the idea :D :D
[eng:20f8454af9]
This is a completely difference case. Name should be same in all langauges. English does same English versioning of Arabic names, we do same with English names. Thanks God, now a days we can not change the names. Does anyone of us know the englsh names of SUQRAT, BUQRAT, AFLATOON, ARSHAMEEDAS etc...[/eng:20f8454af9]