ehteshamzameerwb25B15D1.jpg

مہوش علی

لائبریرین
آجکل ریٹائرڈ جنرلز کی یونین توجوہات پانے کے لیے بہت کچھ کر رہی ہے۔

انہی جنرل احتشام صاحب نے آج اپنے ان بیانات سے منہ پھیر لیا ہے۔

[ENG]
My personal views played up, says ex-ISI Gen
Monday, February 25, 2008

ISLAMABAD: The former head of the political wing of the ISI, Major General Ehtasham Zamir, has said that the elections in 2002 were fair and free and the ISI had no role on the election day.

He expressed these views in a statement issued to clarify his remarks that appeared in a section of the press.Ehtasham Zamir said that with regards to the political management prior to the election, the ISI did play a role, which it had been doing since 1975 as per the directions of the government.

He also disapproved of the role of any intelligence agency in politics.

“To make it personal the correspondent kept insisting on the personal directions of the president, and my reply was that the ISI is not a policy-making body and as such it only implements the directives of the government,” he said.

He also expressed his deep annoyance and regret that his informal telephonic talk and personal opinion has been sensationalised and twisted by a section of the press. He further said that facts have been reported out of context and the sprit and essence of his informal talk has been twisted through sensational headlines.

“Secondly, my personal views in an informal talk, which I was repeatedly avoiding, have been portrayed as a confessional statement causing personal defamation, he added. Therefore, he strongly reiterated that the elections of 2002 were not rigged and while performing the duties in the ISI, “I have not done anything for which I should be ashamed”.

Umar Cheema adds: The retired general admits that he talked to this correspondent and made comments about the role of the ISI. But he appeared confused when I contacted him about his denial issued to a news agency and not to me or my newspaper.

This correspondent had clearly told him during our discussion on Saturday noon that his words would go into print on Sunday or Monday as he had specifically asked when it would be published. So there is no question that he was unaware of the intentions of this correspondent.

As he issued a denial to a wire service on Sunday night he was contacted to ascertain the reasons behind his backtracking. Talking to this correspondent on Sunday night first he said: “The headline of this news was sensational. I don’t know who gave this headline.”

Responding to another question initially he said there was no problem with the text in the report except the headline. However, when said that the text is what is said in the headline he said he was quoted out of context. But at the same time he admitted that the quotes of his conversation given in the report were correct. He also admitted that the Group Editor of Daily Jang, Mr Mahmood Shaam, had intimated him on Saturday night about this story through an SMS message on his mobile phone. He took it lightly and did not respond. On Sunday night he told me: “You have done your work now give me the right to defend myself.” This correspondent stands by the story.
[/ENG]